Πέμπτη 10 Δεκεμβρίου 2009

Why Christmas in Greece Just Doesn't Feel the Same...

First and most important of all, there's no snow. Ok, no snow in most parts ofGreece (unless you're in a village or a town really north)... and I'm used to a snowy Christmas in America, because I'm from the Northeast.

There just isn't enough Christmas spirit! I don't see any ladies with seasonal sweaters with christmas trees and santa earrings offering to help me in the shops. I make fun of those ladies, but I still miss them. In America you sort of feel an obligation to at least look like you've got Christmas spirit. In Greece, it's pretty much a new concept and no one cares.

Greeks exchange gifts on New Year's Day, not Christmas! I guess Santa (or Saint Vasili, who is an entirely different saint than Saint Nicholas) needs time to get the whole way over here. Anyway, calling it an exchange is misleading. Greeks usually get gifts for their children only. So, I guess I won't be getting 30 different little gifts this year. But then again, this means I won't be buying 30 little gifts either...

All the shopping!!! Despite the financial crisis, there's always room for shopping on Christmas! I love that in America... and the bargains! Man, do I miss those!

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου